"So what else can it cook?" We hear that pretty frequently at Pizzacraft, as customers discover the amazing cooking power of the Pizzeria Pronto Outdoor Pizza Oven. With a 14,500 BTU propane burner, the Pronto cooks a fantastic pizza in just five minutes. It's become a hit with thousands of people across the country, and understandably, the Pronto's fans want to see what else it can do! Ultimately, the oven can cook a lot of other things (even chow mein!) but today we'll take a look at the most important meal of the day: breakfast. Here's how you can make pancakes and crepes on your own pizza oven.
How It Works
To cook crepes or pancakes, you’ll need an extra accessory we’ve made especially for this task, the Charcoal Companion crepe kit . Once you’ve got the kit, the process is relatively simple. Remove the oven hood and pizza stones, then place the crepe griddle inside the oven on the pizza stone supports, and start cooking! Let’s take a look at our recipe.
Recipe for Sweet Crepes
- 2 eggs
- 1 C. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 C. milk
- ½ C. water
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Add water, milk, and butter to the whisked eggs.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, cinnamon, salt, and sugar and mix to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the egg mixture, stirring constantly as you incorporate the two mixes.
- Rest the batter 45 minutes in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Prepare the pizza oven by removing the oven hood and pizza stones. Place the crepe steel into the oven and begin preheat by lighting the oven and adjusting the dial to medium.
- After 4-5 minutes, scoop ¼ C. of batter and pour it directly onto the center of the steel plate. Using the crepe spreader, immediately spread the batter by rotating the tool in a circular motion until the crepe is 10” in diameter.
- Cook 30-40 seconds until just browned.
- Flip crepe and continue cooking an additional 20-30 seconds until finished.
- Remove crepe with included spatula and server with desired toppings.
Recipe for Sweet Cream Pancakes
Crepes aren’t the only item you can make with this kit. You can also cook crepes' fluffier cousins, pancakes. Pancakes are very similar to crepes when it comes to ingredients, but they’re even easier to cook. This recipe for sweet cream pancakes produces light, delicious, and slightly sweet pancakes that’ll leave you craving more!
- 1 ½ C. heavy cream
- 1 C. water
- 3 eggs
- 2 fresh vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour and baking powder, then whisk to combine.
- In a separate container add cream, sugar, and scraped vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs until yolks and whites combine.
- Add egg mixture to cream mixture and stir well.
- Slowly pour milk / egg mixture into flour, stirring constantly until fully incorporated. Batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Prepare the pizza oven by removing the oven hood and pizza stones. Place the crepe steel into the oven and begin preheat by lighting the oven and adjusting the dial to medium-high.
- After 4-5 minutes, scoop ¼ C. of batter and pour it directly onto the center of the steel plate.
- Cook 1-2 minutes until nicely browned.
- Flip pancake and continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes until finished.
- Remove pancake with spatula and server with desired toppings.
Whether you want crepes for a picnic brunch in the park, or pancakes on your next camping trip, you can take breakfast on the road with the Pizzeria Pronto and the Charcoal Companion crepe kit.