When it comes to ordering take-out, there’s only one type of food that even comes close to being as popular as pizza: Chinese food. Dishes like fried rice, chow mein, and broccoli beef have all won a place in our tastiest food memories. However, just like pizza, ordering Chinese food can eventually start to take a toll on your wallet. Lucky for you, we just released the Pizza Oven Wok Set – and we’ve got two tasty recipes to get you started cooking with your wok.
Sesame Fried Rice
Ingredients(Serves 3-4 people)
- 2-3 C cooked long or medium grain rice
- 4 Tbsp. safflower oil
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce (or sweet soy sauce)
- 1.5 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ginger, grated
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 C carrots, small dice
- 1 C fresh snap peas
- Combine oyster sauce with soy sauce and sesame oil in a medium-sized bowl and whisk with a one teaspoon of hot water. Set aside.
- Preheat your wok 1-2 minutes over medium flame. Once wok has heated, add 1 Tbsp. safflower oil. Add eggs to wok and scramble them gently. Remove eggs and set aside.
- Add a second tablespoon of safflower oil and increase heat to high. Add carrots, onion, and peas to the wok and sauté 1-2 minutes, stirring as needed. Once vegetables take on some color, add ginger and garlic and cook until 20 seconds to mellow flavors.
- Add cooked rice and egg to the wok, as well as the soy/oyster/sesame sauce. Toss all ingredients until well combined and serve hot.
Chicken Chow Mein
Ingredients(Serves 3-4 people)
- ¾ - 1 lb. chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 1 package fresh Chinese egg noodles (approximately 1 lb. package)
- 2 stalks green onion
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup Shitake mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup Chinese celery, sliced
- 2 cups green cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup pea sprouts
- 3 tsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (preferably Shaoxing) or medium-dry Sherry
- ¼ cup safflower or sunflower oil
- Begin by cooking noodles according to package instructions (fresh noodles take only 30-40 seconds to cook in boiling water).
- After noodles are cooked, run them under cold water in a strainer to stop the cooking process.
- Cut chicken thighs into ½” x 1” pieces.
- Chop green onions thinly. Slice Shitake mushrooms into 1/8th-inch pieces. Slice Napa cabbage thinly and set aside.
- Preheat your wok 1-2 minutes over medium flame. Once wok has heated, add 1 Tbsp. safflower oil. Once oil is hot, add diced chicken and sauté 3-4 minutes until nice color starts to form, then remove from pan and set aside.
- Allow wok to reheat and add cabbage, Shitake mushrooms, celery, sprouts and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add rice wine to deglaze, simmering 30-60 seconds until alcohol has evaporated.
- Add green onions, pea sprouts, noodles, chicken, soy sauce and fish sauce, then finish cooking another 3-4 minutes until noodles have fried slightly and are warmed through.
With the pizza oven wok adapter set, you’ll have everything you need to create authentic wok-fired Asian cuisine in the comfort of your own backyard. Use these recipes to kick off your endeavor in cooking Asian foods, then get creative and put your own spin on them!